View Single Post
Old January 28, 2014, 01:25 PM   #6
RBid

Some experiences to relate:

- mine: came up with target focus, looking over the sights. Didn't have to shoot, but the circumstance was such that I had to be prepared to do so. It took very little time to realize that I was looking over the sights at his gun, and I quickly got on the sights at CoM until the situation was resolved.

- an officer I know was in a gunfight in open space (no available cover or concealment) and fired 3 misses looking at the threat, collected himself, and got 4 hits with his sights. This was a very fast exchange, so the adjustment didn't take long.

- some mil friends of mine who had to use their handguns while deployed have said that they absolutely used their sights. They had each been in firefights with rifles or carbines previously, which very likely helped get over the first time shock and threat focus.

- a DEA field agent I know has only related Rem 870 experiences, and said that he ran on instinct until he put a red dot on his shotgun. He pointed through his support hand thumb to target, which is actually how I used to practice draw presentation, and is how I reflexively came on target in my situation.

In sim work, under stress, I have repeatedly gotten on my sights immediately. I think that first situation did a lot for my internal wiring. I hope I never find out for sure.

Page generated in 0.02280 seconds with 8 queries