View Single Post
Old May 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #12
serf 'rett

Quote:
what are the advantages of a hollow base bullet
As stated, weight forward, higher surface area of bullet to bore contact and better bullet to bore seal; all of which can produce better groups.

Please note that the 124 HBFP noted in the opening post is a different animal from the 124 HBRN-TP snuffy references. As I understand it, the 124 HBFP upper limit is 1200 fps, while the 124 HBRN-TP (TP standing for thick plated) can be pushed to the quoted 1450 fps.

I’ve been using both of these bullets for a little more than a year and will be ordering more soon. I’ve had no problems at all and have been very pleased. At the present time, I’m showing a little more favoritism toward the 124 HBFP. It’s not that there seems to any performance difference, but the Flat Point version makes a cleaner hole in the IDPA targets, so it a little easier for my poor old eyes to register hits (and misses).

I will mention one thing about loading the 124 HBFP bullet. The bullet shape is different, in that it has a “wide” tip. The first rounds I loaded were to long; resulting in the round head spacing of the lands instead of the cartridge case mouth. I had to do a little tinkering to get my cartridge overall length right for one of my pistol.

Page generated in 0.02371 seconds with 8 queries