View Single Post
Old April 26, 2011, 03:34 PM   #66
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I remember that story...I thought she was actually shot in her own backyard, no?
You and I know the same story. That was Karen Wood. She was shot by a guy named Don Rogerson. He claimed to have seen a deer and within a minute or so of going outside in her own back yard, she was shot and killed. There were NO deer tracks anywhere near here despite Rogerson's claims to have been tracking a deer. Everyone in Maine knows better than to go in their yards with white on lest they be shot as a deer, which seemed to be the attitude of many of the local and hence why Rogerson didn't end up in the penn. Rogerson did not do time despite not identifying his target and firing within 300 feet of a house (he was 188 feet away from Woods, but 286 feet away from the neighbor's house). He did pay $122,000 to Karen Wood's family, of which $100,000 came from his home owner's insurance.

I have a feeling that we might be having a slightly different discussion had the hunter shot at his "turkey" and gotten a for real turkey and somehow in the process some of the pellets missed and hit the child and father because the hunter was not aware of his backstop. At least then we could know that the hunter actually saw a turkey. No turkey, blood, or feathers to support the claim of a turkey, then it is hard to believe it is there.

In following up IHEA reports and finding articles, I am a bit perplexed at how many people claim to have seen animals they were shooting at, but mysteriously hit a human instead, but don't come up with a dead animal. Some are valid, no doubt, as the hunter was just a poor shot. Some are you typical "swing through" problems where there is a group and one member shoots another as something like a dove flies between them. It is the ones where the hunter shoots another person not known to be there and shoots doesn't have any prey to show either that seem most like possible cases of misidentification, sound shots, movement shots, etc.

Quote:
Could the father have been more careful than to gobble on public land, and have his 5 year old moving around?
Did I miss a link? Do we actually know what the father and kid were doing at the time of being shot? I realize buck460XVR says he heard this, but I haven't seen a single report to indicate this went on. It may have, just no video, audio, or text I have heard/seen has this information.

Page generated in 0.02788 seconds with 8 queries