View Single Post
Old July 23, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

2 new holsters...

one of my favorite & most accurate of my old top breaks ( at least until I got my spur trigger S&W's .. favorite part anyways ) was a 32 S&W Hopkins & Allen Safety Police DAO factory snubbie ( this gun shoots 2" groups at 30ft for me, if I do my part )... the trouble I had with carrying it, was finding just that right holster... it's quite a bit smaller than a J frame, & most holsters I was finding that fit it pretty close, had a hammer retention strap, which of course with my DAO didn't have a hammer...

it took me all of about 3 hours to build this new holster... nice thick leather, good cant to it so the grip stays in tight, the thick leather makes it stiff enough ( & where my belt loop flap at the bottom of the holster attaches is 3 layers thick... I like to keep my belt loop tight for my blue jean belts, so the holster as very good stability... I like a retention strap, but I've found that the strap hanging the normal 1" or more past the snap, that I have a tendancy to catch it / snag it on the arms of my office chair & unsnap it... I like these big buffalo nickel snaps, & find if I trim the strap to the radius of the snap, that I can easily grasp it & unsnap, but I don't snag it as often causing it to unsnap...

I need to burnish & trim / shape the top maybe a bit more, but have been wearing it a couple days just to see what it needs... even a pretty short T-shirt keeps it under wraps... notice it sticks down only about 1" below my belt...

whadya think ???

... the other one I've been working on is for my NAA mini... no pics yet, as I'm not quite done... got about 2 hours into it & about 1/2 done... I started last night by removing the big "Gerber" label off my nylon folding knife sheath ( I on occasion carry my mini in a nylon Gerber folding knife sheath )... next I traced the outline of my mini on several pieces of leather & cut those out & sewed them together ( about the thickess of the gun ) next I cut out & sewed up a piece of leather about the size of my Gerber sheath, dyed it black, & sewed the Gerber label to it... stuffed the "mini" traced out leather into it, & in effect have what looks like a leather Gerber folding knife sheath, doesn't print the gun, & that now holds my mini securely & positioned correctly for easy access ( with the original knife sheath, it was a bit too long, & not stiff enough, that drawing the weapon was not smooth )

my thoughts here are a hidden in plain sight, or "camoflaged" if you will holster, by making up something that looks like a folding knife sheath, a multi-tool sheath, or a cell phone holster, for wearing on the belt with tucked in shirts... I have a buddy thats a modern Harley biker, that has been wanting something like this for his double derringer, so I started with my mini, & will see where that goes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 355.jpg (77.0 KB, 739 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.03040 seconds with 9 queries