View Single Post
Old December 13, 2011, 10:59 AM   #17
MLeake

A lot of problems that might be attributed to the choice of gun at an IDPA match should more likely be attributed to the shooter.

Years of static range practice, and a couple rounds of GSSF (again, static, though with multiple targets) had not trained my muscle memory for shooting while moving, or reloading on the move.

Yes, the gun can make a difference. However, I find that footwork (and not locking knees; duck walking; applying martial arts concepts of movement; etc) have much more impact on IDPA performance than does the choice of gun - assuming the gun is not ridiculously unsuited.

You can practice for IDPA without firing a shot. Practice moving fore and aft, laterally, and diagonally while holding your sights (or, as another poster in another thread suggested, a glass of water) level. Practice drawing from under a cover garment. Practice inserting a mag or speed loader while moving to cover.

I suspect you will find that as those things start to feel natural to you, the choice of gun will matter less and less.

Page generated in 0.03665 seconds with 8 queries