Thread: Turkey Season
View Single Post
Old April 4, 2011, 02:49 PM   #10
bamaranger

First Day....first bird!

Season came in Fri., 1April and I'd taken the day (and several others) off.
Bamaboy and I went in at dusk the evening before to a location near a state Firetower and listened for roosting birds. Previously, I had heard gobblers in the area while scouting a week before. This night, we heard what sounded like a bird changing limbs nearby, enough to convince me to hunt it in the AM.

Opening morning I was in good time, but there were at least 3 trucks ahead of me. The location is public land adjacent a big private club. I skirted down the boundary and into the steep sided little hollow where we had heard wings the PM before. It was wet, sloppy. I set up in the dark, at the base of a big poplar on a little shelf on the side of the hollow. I began to hear gobbles in the extreme distance, but nothing close. I figured with so many guys about, they'd get there before I could and I held tight and stayed put.

With fair light, I tree called on my favorite pocket slate. Nothing. Five 10 minutes later, I gave a louder series of yelps. Nothing. After about 20 minutes, a shot in the distance, one of the gobbling birds from earlier. Well........that's all part of it. I relaxed, dug out a pack of crackers began to munch.

My mouth full, crackers in hand, I glanced down the shelf again. Thirty five yards away stood a turkey in the gloom and mist. I thought I could see color on its head and neck. Head up, alert, sneaky. I thought I'd been busted. When the bird stepped behind another big poplar, I ditched the crackers and was able to shoulder and point my trusty 870. It took forever for the bird to clear the big tree intervening, again, I thought it had split.

But appear it did, a bit closer, now the red and white head and a short beard, a jake! Some guys have reservations about shooting jakes, ....but first bird of the year, public land, guys everywhere, I didn't hesitate.

A thirty pace shot, WW Supreme #5 Hi Vels, 1-3/4 load and he took'em all, barely flopped. Just a jake.......public land, crowded, goofy weather, I'm tickled no end.

Glanced at my watch, I'd been in place about 45 minutes!!!!!

Page generated in 0.02556 seconds with 8 queries