View Single Post
Old December 26, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Savage_The_Barbarian

Confused about the use of lube over balls?

I am new to BP and have not shot anything yet. I think that I have all the stuff that I need but I am a bit confused about the use of a lube over the balls (crisco, natural lube, ect). I have read several primers about BP pistols but none of them seem to answer what I need to know.

I intend to load my revolvers this way. Load the BP (FFFg), put a pre-lubed wad on top of the powder, load and seat the ball (.451 round). Now here is where I am confused. Some say to put grease or crisco or natural lube over the ball, others say not to because of the pre-lubed wad. After that, put the percussion caps on only AFTER I am ready to fire the revolver, at the range, as the very last step.

I have some T17 ( don't know if this is what to use), don't even know if its considered bore butter or not.

What is the purpose of the lube over the balls if you use a pre-lubed wad? (other than to stop chain fires - but isn't that what the wad is for?)
What should I use if I do need to cover the balls with a lube and how much? I've seen some pictures that show the cylinder FILLED with grease/crisco or other stuff, while other pictures show nothing.

Thanks for your help.

This isssue has me totally confused and I want to be safe and not destroy my revolver.

Page generated in 0.04262 seconds with 8 queries