View Single Post
Old November 30, 2002, 06:32 AM   #20
gmeister

I thought I was done with the discussion, but I guess I have another couple of comments.

Archie said:
"Seriously, good that you've achieved what you wanted. I would also suggest that when your jacketed bullets run out, you replace them with either 148 grain lead WC or 158 lead bullets. The Bullseye then makes for a pleasant load for just plinking."

I started out (when I bought the revolver used, 2 yrs ago) using factory reloaded lead WC and after a few target shoots with my daughter there were several malfunctions where the cylinder would hang up very occasionally. I found that there was quite a bit of lead buidup around the cylinder and in the forcing cone area. It may have been there from the previous owner, but I was at least partially at fault because I didn't give enough attention in cleaning those areas. (I own mostly semi-autos.)

Thorough cleaning of the cylinder, forcing cone and cleaning & lubing of the rod (axis) the cylinder spins on and everything was back to 100% reliability. I decided to use only jacketed bullets after that, as she keeps this revolver for self-defense and malfunctions of any type are not acceptable. (Also had the revolver checked by a gunsmith and timing was not a problem.) I'd rather pay more for the occasional target shooting with jacketed instead of lead bullets than have any possible problem with this issue.

Mike Irwin said:
"Jesus, Archie! How old is that information? Was Lincoln president then? I haven't seen 2400 listed as a loading option for .38 Spl. in any manuals past about 1966."

As stated in the first post, I found (conflicting) 2400 data for 38 special in the Lee carbide die data sheet (age unknown but probably not more than 5 years old) and the Lyman 47th reloading manual (not more than a few years old.)

Alan W.

Page generated in 0.04285 seconds with 8 queries