View Single Post
Old October 15, 2008, 02:30 AM   #21
Enfield476

22 Eragesplitten Loudenboomer

It's my understanding (and I'm probably wrong), that this idea was born while two buddies sat over a table with a scotch bottle between them, and stands right alongside every other wild-minded idea about the ultimate velocity hyper-flash projectile, right alongside the 219 Sting Ray, the 220 Shannon and every one of these fun rounds. It's about fun, and nothing else.

I have since learned about "Fun"...

Many years ago, I bought a "cheap" Remington 788 in 22-250 for about 60 bucks. "It ain't nothin' but a varmint gun fer my kid. He thinks that it's ugly." said the guy who sold it to me. Yeah, the rifle had that cheap painted-on brown finish, making it look like a K-Mart reject. Well, I hit the stock with "Strip-It" spray, then refinished the stock with Old English Stain and True-Oil. I channeled out the barrel cut in the stock. I glass-bedded the thing, thinking "Gosh..I might need to buy a new barrel for this old clunker".

Silly me...

I had an old Weaver T-10 rifle scope with nothing to do but get dusty on my bench, and spent the extravagance of buying Redfield mounts and rings for the durned thing. Then I cooked and poured, looking over manuals, laughing at myself for spending so much time dealing with this cheap rifle. I eventually came up with a recipe that involved IMR4895 and teeny-weeny little 52 grain hollow point boat tails (I'd never shot anything this small that did not include the words "Rim Fire").

Anyhow...

I trundled off to the rifle range, whistling to the radio tunes, eventually arriving with my new "BB-Gun", paid my fee, then sat down to an easy afternoon of shootin' at the 100-yard bench. I was a bit annoyed after ten rounds. I had fired ten shots, and only one had hit the target. I fired five more. They all must have missed, for there was only one hole.

The range officer saw my consternation and approached. "Perhaps you might try the three hundred yard range."

"What for," I asked, obviously irked, "...this damned thing can't hit at a hundred..."

Well, I put a sucker in my mouth and wandered over to the longer range, settling down for some serious ego-bashing. I adjusted my scope for the range difference, then settled down and fired ten rounds. The range officer was still with me, and called for a cease fire. We walked to the targets, my heart low as I knew that I hadn't hit Texas, let alone paper. As we approached, my jaw dropped. The range officer reached into his pocket and searched though his pocket-change. I was beginning to ask myself if he was going to call My Mommy to come and get me when he pulled out a dime and placed it over my group, covering it entirely. He looked at me and grinned. "Yup...she shoots pretty good, don't she..."

So much for cheap rifles...

Page generated in 0.02747 seconds with 8 queries