View Single Post
Old November 24, 2006, 10:40 AM   #25
Wild Bill Bucks

I don't mean this to sound like a smart butt, but I practice all year with my deer rifle, to be able to place my shots as close to perfect as I can. I presently have a load worked up, and I am confident enough with it, to put 1" groups together, consistintly. If I could not do that, then I would take nothing but heart shots.
Taking a neck shot is really no big deal for me, and I have taken the last 12 or 13 deer, over the last two or three years, without having to track a single deer.

I'm not saying this shot is for everyone, and in every circumstance, but when it is available to me, it is my first choice. The neck, when shot with a .308 presents the same size kill zone, as what I would consider to be the kill zone for a heart shot, and it is a whole lot less trouble when tracking, and cleaning takes place.

One should always limit theirself to his or her capabilities.

FF, Doe came out with two others, just about daybreak, so I downed her. I decided not to immediatley, get down and go get her, since I could see she had not moved out of her tracks when she went down, and about 5 mintutes later a nine point, came in, and turned toward her laying there, and gave me a great angle on him about 100 yards out, so I downed him also. Both deer went down immediatley, and the work then started.

Felt pretty good about it, being as how I got SKUNKED during ML season this year.

Page generated in 0.03177 seconds with 8 queries