View Single Post
Old May 3, 2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Every self defense instructor I have ever met that claimed to not be in condition white, except maybe in the safety of his/her own home, has been self delluded. I think they wish to convince themselves of just how vigilant they are. I really despise the instructors that like to play the cheap trick of doing something like calling drills, pulling a knife, and then telling us how poor our situational awareness is when nobody turns around during drills to see the instructor with a knife. And what if we did. Assuming he wasn't moving aggressively, what is the friggin' problem. The jerk also had a gun. If he was smart, he would shoot us from behind, give the stupid example of "What if I would have attacked you?" Well, moron, the 9 of us on the line not being stabbed would have turned and shot you, assumed the 10 behind the line and doing reloads were not already shooting you.

What they really don't like is when they are speaking with one student, such as at the end of class, surrounded by people with things like guns, and you walk up behind them, draw your imaginary knife, and plunge two fingers in their ribs, giving them a goose. Nothing like a good amount of shock, surprise, horror at seeing the attacker's grin, and then showing the expression of being pissed off as the attacker puts the imaginary knife back in the imaginary scabbard, the attacker being the guy in class who questioned just how realistic it was to to claim to be in condition yellow "all the time" or "all the time" when not at home...the same guy the instructor then spent time explaining how highly trained he was when asked about keeping himself in Condition Yellow all the time.

By the way, Dane Burns claimed to us that he was so far above 'conditions' that his martials arts training with some of the best dojos had helped him to develop a 6th sense and that he could sense things that he didn't even see and while it may seem like he was in Condition White, his 'sense' kept him totally aware. That was at a Rangemaster class in Dallas. It sucked.

Yes, I am the guy that gooses instructors. Probably the only decent reaction I ever got was from one guy who immediately moved to cover his gun, that was under his vest. It was a good move, but too late if I had stabbed him while he was chatting in Condition Yellow and completely wrong move given I was not going for his gun, something he would have realized if he was truly in Condition Yellow. He actually wasn't mad and had the maturity to note that it had been a long day and maybe he wasn't fully on his toes as he should be. To be honest, none of us were.

Page generated in 0.03536 seconds with 8 queries