View Single Post
Old June 18, 2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

"L" I used to carry a 4" GP-100 almost exclusively around the farm, for wood chucks, opossums, raccoons etc... & I will vouch for the fact ( as I've had many crawl off only to have to put up with the smell ) that a 110 gr hollow point will plant critters this size, better than 158 gr hollow points using a 357 magnum...

but the amount of blood shot really decreases quickly ( going back to my rifle / field dressing experience ) with slower moving bullets... while often the killing effectiveness remains... for example, a 100 grain factory load 243 will with as close to the same shot as practical, leave a larger bruised wound track, than a factory 405 grain 45-70, yet the 45-70 in my experience drops a deer sized animal faster with same shot placement...

I've never seen a handgun wound track even with ( for example ) the deer shot by my FIL with a 6" Dan Wesson 357 Maximum with 180 grain bullets, come even close to any of the rifles legal around here for deer, so that would seem that handguns are in the sub velocity needed for true hydrostatic bruising...

yes, the 110 grain 357 mag stopped the wood chucks better than 158 grain ammo ( in my experience ) however 44 special ( I've mostly used hollow points in this example ), & even lead cowboy loads in 45 Colt drop these critters as well as the 110 grain 357... at a much lower blast / recoil level than those hot lil 357's

I'm certainly no authority, this is only observations I've made during my experience's, to contribute to the discussion... YMMV but I'd still like to hear about it

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 18, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.03068 seconds with 8 queries