View Single Post
Old August 10, 2008, 02:21 PM   #33
nemoaz

Quote:
For this reason I keep home defense longarms stored safety off with the hammer down on an empty chamber and a loaded magazine. That way they can be readied by simply cycling the action.
Me too, but mostly because that's the way I'm trained and the way I carry my rifle at work. You never have to check the safety that way. Don't have to press check or wonder if you have one in the chamber. Rack and fire.

I understand that some people think that racking a rifle or shotgun at home is a tactical liability and I see their point. I have no problem with someone leaving a weapon hot chamber in a gun safe. But since I am required to carry it hot standby at work, I do that at home too.

As for kids, I worry more about friends of my kids more than my own. I think having an empty chamber is a measure of security in addition to most of the guns being locked up.

Quote:
I stand (ok sit) corrected regarding penetration issues through walls. However, I will still trust my life more to .45ACP than .223 when shot directly at a perp standing 6 ft away from me.
With all due respect, Navy Lt, you need to put down the gun rags. I suspect you haven't seen many wounds. Please trust me that any rifle (centerfire) creates a big nasty mess when fired into a chest or abdomen, especially at close range. The wound is many, many fold more devasting than any pistol wound.

At close range, it looks something like this, even if the bad guy is a methhead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FxWJEJyV8c Secondary training point, never focus too much on your target to miss the other threat on your flank. In this case, the rock thrower who is getting ready to put a coup de grace on the unconscious agent slumped over the wheel of the car to the right, fails to notice that backup has arrived. Classic tunnel vision.

Page generated in 0.02298 seconds with 8 queries