View Single Post
Old February 28, 2009, 10:53 AM   #9
mskdgunman

Fl has no requirement that you tell the officer about the weapon. However, as a cop, I always preferred it when folks told me about weapons in the vehicle or on their person. My reason was simple in that i don't like surprises. If the weapon is in the glove compartment and you happen to keep your registration/insurance I the same place, I'd like to know if before you open the glove compartment and have a weapon w/in reach.

If it's on your person, it's not a big deal (if you have a CWP) and I've probably stopped many folks who I never knew were carrying as I had no reason to get them out of the car or search them so it was not an issue. If I see you have a CWP, I'll probably ask if you are carrying. I'm not too worried about the foks that jump through the hoops to get CWP's although a couple of our local bad guys who have escaped the system so far have them too, so I err on the side of safety.

As has been pointed out, know your State laws and use common sense. Dont let an LEO get a glimpse of even a legaly carried weapon they don't know you have or have a permit for as the situation will immediately get rather tense. Even as an LEO, I have ALWAYS told any LEO's I was in contact with while off duty that I'm armed. Better safe then sorry and I can relate to their position.

Page generated in 0.03717 seconds with 8 queries