View Single Post
Old April 5, 2009, 06:09 AM   #9
CaptainCrossman

historically accurate ???

The older Dragoon and 1860 Army repros I saw at the show, were superior quality to the newer repros- that was obvious just by handling them/inspection. The bluing and lettering were far superior, the actions more precision/tighter. Zero cylinder play, perfect timing, ultra smooth when cocked- and historically accurate. These came from old collections that were "bought out" by gun/curio/antique dealers- then taken to show for resale.

Historical accuracy is a real issue with me- when I see an 1860 Army frame/cylinder with round barrel chambered in 36 cal and called "Navy", it's just a slap in the face to Civil War era, USA history, and Colt heritage- and that's just what some companies are selling today as new. I can see having a mix/match if a used gun was broken and no other parts were available to fix it, but these repros cost $250-400 range or more, they should be "right" when made new. I'm seeing a disregard for historical accuracy now more than ever, with new repro guns.

Last week a gun shop owner gave me a free Traditions Firearms catalog- checking the BP C/B section, there are many historically incorrect guns.

One "1851 Navy" has a stepped 1860 army frame, rebated 1860 army cylinder, and here's the real kicker- it's chambered in 44 Army caliber. The only thing they got right was the octagon barrel shape. Yet this is their steel frame blued "Navy". What's up with that ?

Another "movie gun" they sell is the "Josie Wales Navy"- it has the correct 1851 Navy frame, but has an Army rebated cylinder, and Army pattern barrel. This "Navy" is chambered in 44. (again). The description says it's supposed to be a copy of the gun Josie finds in the wreckage of his burned down house. If you watch the movie, that gun appears to be an 1860 Army 44 cartridge conversion Colt- not a C/B gun at all.

One more- their "new" 1860 Antiqued Army- it has an 1851 Navy frame, an 1851 Navy cylinder, chambered in 44, yet in the price list is described as the "1861 antiqued". So which is it ? Either way it's incorrect. It "looks" more like an 1861 Navy, but is chambered in 44 Army.

All I can figure is, something is lost in the marketing committees and sales dept. when they decide what to make, and how to name the guns.

Why not just say "this is an Navy pattern chambered in 44", or "this is an 1860 Army frame/cylinder w/1851 barrel, chambered in 44" ? They should just be up front and honest about what it really is- not invent new names for it.

The funny part is, it's getting more difficult to find real "replicas" of the Civil War era, that are historically accurate. You have to be careful, otherwise you get a "mutt" rather than a "purebred".

Page generated in 0.03597 seconds with 8 queries