View Single Post
Old June 6, 2013, 01:38 PM   #58
Double Naught Spy

No, Pig Bomb and Mutant Pigs were media hype, not internet hype. There is a lot of hype on the internet as well. Yes, the population is growing, but it isn't growing as much as claimed, or at least the math doesn't add up as claimed. Yes, the range is expanding. Pig Bomb and Mutant Pigs made up information or discussed it in manners that were unrealistic and it has definitely tainted people's views.

That you have a sounder at your feeder isn't unexpected.

Here is another such example of INTERNET hype...
http://www.basecamptexas.com/2012/09...-go-from-here/

The pig expert, Higginbotham, says that we (Texas) are removing about 29% of our hogs annually and that the growth rate is still about 20%. So unchecked by humans, we are looking at roughly a 50% growth rate. HOWEVER, to keep the population in check/stable, we need to kill off 60-70% per year. Interesting math.

Oh, and the estimate for the number of hogs in 2010 was 2.6 million, he says.

The testament to the lack of math predictions comes in this exchange that I really liked. Higginbotham must be running for office the way he sidestepped the query.

Quote:
BCT: If no dramatic change occurs in our control methods, what will the Texas population of wild hogs be in 10 years? Twenty years?

Higginbotham: I believe there will be continued growth in the next few years but a number of conditions can check that population growth—the 2011 drought is an example that probably caused negative growth in some parts of the state.

We estimated that in 2010, human-induced removal through our 4 legal control methods: shooting, trapping, dogs and snares removed about 29% of our current population or roughly 750,000 pigs annually from an estimated population of 2.6 million in Texas. Also, as we become more efficient at control, educate landowners on the use of proper control techniques and new tools for control become available, we should be able to remove a higher percentage of the population. Populations appear to be increasing at roughly 20% a year. With current tools available, eradication is not possible in Texas. However, we have shown we can be very successful at damage abatement by removing pigs. Wild Hogs in Texas: Where do we go from here?
So since he didn't do it, let's take his 2.6 million in 2010 and 20% growth after abatement and find out, eh?
2011 - 3.12 million
2012 - 3.74
2013 - 4.49
2014 - 5.39
2015 - 6.47
2016 - 7.76
2017 - 9.32
2018 - 11.18
2019 - 13.42
2020 - 16.1

Keep in mind that in 2005, we already had 2 million hogs in Texas, yet with the 20% growth, they only grew to 2.6 million by 2010. That math doesn't work.
http://www.hpj.com/archives/2005/may...nwreakingh.CFM

Quote:
I'm not concerned about the little armadillo running around my place, or the shy coyotes howling at night, or even the very rare mountain lion.
Nobody said you were concerned about the armadillo et al. You noted your lack of understanding about how the pig population could blossom. You seemed to be unfamiliar with how it could occur or that it could occur. So I provided you with examples. Other animals are doing the same thing even without the help of humans breeding them. The phenomenon is not unique to pigs.

Quote:
I am concerned about the wild pigs that are all over the place, that charged my neighbor and rammed his cart, that have no fear of hanging out in my front yard, back yard, and garage, that attacked another person I know and caused him to lose his leg. I can't go down to my creek anymore, because it's just too dangerous. I've taken down brush and down controlled burns, but it doesn't make much of a difference. That's not hype. That's reality.
I am concerned about them as well, but the RARE encounters such as you described are just that, rare. I understand you are fearful. Good luck to you.

BTW, controlled burns are wonderful for ATTRACTING wildlife. After a burn, the soil benefits from the extra nitrogen and nutrients, plant regrowth is stimulated, and animals flock to the fresh vegetation, including hogs. You may be your own worst enemy when it comes to you hog problem.

Page generated in 0.04106 seconds with 8 queries