View Single Post
Old June 7, 2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Ruger4570

I don't want to get crosswise with anybody but I have loaded a lot of the Lee 1 oz slugs and I have had performance as good as some of the factory sabots. Not all of them, but several.
I also assume you are using a rifled barrel, if not, don't bother with the Lee mold, it is designed to be used in a rifled barrel only. Wally World sometimes sells Foster slugs at very low prices. I think I saw them for something like $1.50 +/- a 5 pack.
I have both weights of the Lee slug molds but the 1 oz. shoots considerably better. I pretty much follow the recipe's in the instructions but I have tried several brands of wads, some are a lot better than others. In my Ithaca Deerslayer II, I can easily keep all the shots under 4" and many times the first 2 are touching or nearly so. As anybody that shoots a lot of slugs knows,, flinching control is a hard dance to do.
The Lee mold sells for about what you will pay for a couple of boxes of slugs and you may find that they shoot as well for you as for me. You sure won't be out much money and if you don't like the mold,, well,, you can always sell the mold to someone else. If you find a particular wad that works better,, buy a couple hundred and you will probably not run out in your lifetime.

Page generated in 0.03453 seconds with 8 queries