View Single Post
Old September 29, 2013, 08:18 PM   #46
bedbugbilly

A couple years ago I finally got my wife of 40 years (at that time) to go to an indoor range with me to try shooting. I started her out on a 22 Super Bearcat. She liked it and so i consider it her gun now. She calls it her "pop pop gun".

She has no interest in shooting a semi - doesn't like the slide coming back nor the spent shell flying. I have a number of 38 spls. and she has no interest in them as they make too much noise/recoil.

Regardless of if someone has grown up in a family of shooters or not - if they have never shot a gun they are a beginner. To me, starting anyone out on a CF, whether it be .380, 38, 357, 40 or 45 is the best way to scare them off so that they won't want to shoot again. A .22 is a good beginner gun - no recoil to speak of, they learn the basics of gun safety and shooting and then, as they get used to it, if they want to go to a larger caliber, more power to 'em.

Starting someone out on a firearm that is loud (even wearing hearing protection) and a hefty recoil is sort of akin to starting a young kid out hunting pheasants or shooting clays with a 10 gauge.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03280 seconds with 8 queries