View Single Post
Old October 9, 2006, 08:44 AM   #10
DesertShooter

I've suffered fractured ribs AND cartilage separation in the rib cage in the past. They are NOT "minor" injuries, and you can't just "wrap them up" or wear body armor!

Your best bet is to have a sports physician look at you. He/she will probably prescribe some sort of muscle relaxants and heat packs. They'll also suggest that you do some sort of breathing exercises, to press outward on the rib cage.

A friend of mine fractured two ribs several years ago. He "thought" that by wrapping his chest with the widest "Ace bandage" was the way to go. What he found out, the hard way, was that the tight bandage was causing the fracture point to rub against several vital organs! He eventually had to have surgery done, for there was internal bleeding!

When I separated the cartilage between three of my ribs, my physician told me to "lay low" for awhile. When I asked him what "awhile" meant, he said that it might take as long as 6 or 8 months! He also told me that the cartilage separation was WORSE than having a fractured rib, for the "floating" ribs might actually puncture a lung or other organ! I did EXACTLY as he prescribed, took the muscle relaxants, heating pad and "lay low". After about 4 months, I was feeling a lot better, but not at 100%.

Hey, you only get ONE body! Take care of it, and don't over-do any sort of "rehab" program to get back in shape faster!

Page generated in 0.03930 seconds with 8 queries