View Single Post
Old August 29, 2012, 11:10 AM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

More importantly, a lot match bullets have as much as 0.010" length variance. Pretty much no point in being tighter than that if the bullets won't all end up with the same COL. Even ogive to case shoulder will vary plus or minus half that in some instances, and that's with a competition seater in play. Apparently spring-back from forming the jacket cups isn't 100% uniform; at least not where the seater ram touches the ogive.

The Berger method uses 0.030" (target) to 0.040" steps (hunting). I currently use the 0.030" approach to narrow the possibilities, then go ±.015" from the best 0.030" increment and don't go further unless I see a real difference. Usually I can just call it a day at that point. I use 5 shot minimums for this, round robin, so I shoot 20, then 10 more looking for refinement.

Note that a lot of folks find a couple of sweet spots at different seating depths. It's not uncommon, in addition to being close to the lands, for another sweet spot to show up at about 1 caliber into the case neck or with the full bullet bearing surface in the case neck, whichever is shorter.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; August 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo fix

Page generated in 0.02372 seconds with 8 queries