View Single Post
Old July 6, 2014, 07:39 PM   #20
WV_gunner

I think around here there's more luck involved than skill. Deer population isn't the greatest. I think there's way too many spot lighters and all year hunters around here. I am a meat hunter though, I am not a rack hunter. I only get to hunt a few days out of the season I try my best when I go. My opinion is this, don't read a book on hunting. Get a gun that is adequate, get the proper license or whatever you need to do it legal, get a fixed knife (a cheapie works fine), and you may want disposable elbow length gloves. Get all of that and go in the woods. Wear orange and be safe. Learn as you go along. You might make mistakes but as long as you're safe and having fun what else matters? I am no master hunter or master of anything but hunting is a pretty simple concept. When you do see the deer, aim for the lungs and heart. No fancy shooting positions required. You may want to try a shooting stick for a rest, they are handy but I always found it to be in the way.
Bear hunting does have extra obvious dangers but bear are more timid than one thinks. I've deer hunted for 12 years now, I'm only 23, but I've only bear hunted once. We went camping in tents for 2 nights. It was an adventure but no bear were shot. Also, be aware of 2 legged predators. Not everyone is honest. The dangers of being murdered are slim but it happens. The bigger danger would be getting robbed, most likely being your vehicle being broken in to. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. So keep things hidden and I advise to never ever leave your gun in the vehicle any more than need be. Watch out for private property signs as well. I've literally been threatened to be shot because I was around 500 yards from the property and they were yelling about I was too close. So be safe.

Page generated in 0.03645 seconds with 8 queries