View Single Post
Old September 7, 2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Marco Califo

Quote:
I really don't understand the fascination with all the other lubes and such that people feel inclined to use when there are excellent products, easily obtained, inexpensively priced, and perfectly matched to the task at hand.
Well then, I guess I want share my secret whipped lube recipe of bacon grease, STP, melted sperm whale blubber, cocoa butter, and Pennzoil 10W-40. Maybe I'll try adding some Bag Balm, next time, too.
Seriously, I think lube products for reloaders is a marketing myth. The logic seems to be: If they sell it, I must need it, so I bought it. Then to justify having bought it, they try to convince other people to buy their brand to show how "smart they are". And these special products do not necessarily work phenomenally, or any better than motor oil.
The lithium grease really works. I was using Lyman lube (which looks and feels suspiciously like wheel bearing grease) and used to slide a pipe over the handle of my Redding single stage when resizing mil 308, for more leverage, and was thinking of adding a foot hold of rebar to the bottom of the tree trunk section it is mounted to. When I tried Lithium grease, I do not even need the pipe anymore. Lubes are just that: lubricants to reduce friction and minimize sticking. There is no monopoly or patent on making lubes that work for this purpose. Quite a few of us have simply looked around the garage. Commercial case lubes started as innovative ideas in garages.

Last edited by Marco Califo; September 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.02444 seconds with 8 queries