View Single Post
Old January 5, 2005, 07:10 PM   #9
PKAY

P&R is primarily a collector issue and for some a quality issue. The pinned bbl and recessed cylinder evokes in the minds of many an attention to detail and aesthetics gone by the wayside in conformance to the demands of a "bean counter" mentality that says such things just add cost to the product and do not necessarily make the piece stronger or more efficient.

Insofar as a review of the pinned bbl vs. the crush fit, I was told by a rangemaster at a local So. Cal indoor range in the S.F. Valley that he had to send a couple of his Model 686 crush fit rentals back to S&W because the bbls BROKE OFF while a customer was firing. He said S&W sent him two NEW guns. I asked how many rounds had been through the guns prior to the bbl's departing the frames. To which he replied, "One was at around 50,000 rounds and the other had over 60,000." Oh My!! I don't think any of my S&W revos without a pinned bbl will ever SEE that many rounds. And if any one does, it will be time to retire it or rebarrel it anyway dontcha think?

Page generated in 0.02939 seconds with 8 queries