View Single Post
Old September 3, 2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Mosin44az

I have owned all three, still have the LCP. It has proven reliable for nearly 2000 rounds.

My P3AT was junk. Wouldn't get through a magazine without a malf. The Ruger design is taken from the (public domain) Kel-tec design, but clearly improved in materials and with a noticeably beefed-up extractor. No way would I pick the P3AT over the LCP.

My Smith Bodyguard .380 also had multiple problems out of the box, and a very cheap feel in my estimation. It wouldn't disassemble properly, and the laser adjustment broke quickly. The laser I found to be useless due to the very heavy trigger. The laser does add recoil-absorbing weight which helps make the Bodyguard the most comfortable of these three to shoot. It also has real sights.

I sent the Bodyguard to Smith for service for the multiple problems, and their service IS truly fantastic. They send Fed Ex to your door, and the gun is back to you in a week, all on their dime. They fixed all the problems I had spotted, and even worked on the trigger, which I had complained about. They almost overdid it on the trigger, I think they lightened the striker spring to the point where I could only reliably fire U.S. ammo!

But the Bodyguard still proved excessively finicky as to what ammo it would feed. I couldn't find a hollowpoint it would feed for 100 rounds. Maybe I gave up too quickly, but I ditched it.

The problems with the LCP are the heavy trigger, the lack of sights, and recoil pain. The trigger smooths over time, the lack of sights doesn't really matter at close ranges up to 7 yards--just aim the slide and you can still hit your mark. Recoil pain is reduced by use of mag baseplate extensions from Ruger or Pearce Grip (which also helps you to hold on to the little bugger!) and a Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove rubber grip slip-on.

The LCP is not a range toy, but you can get used to the recoil and it's really not bad after you get used to it.

If a gun isn't reliable, it's not suitable for defense. My LCP has easily been the most reliable small pocket pistol I have owned, and for that reason I kept it.

Page generated in 0.02516 seconds with 8 queries