Thread: 41 derringer
View Single Post
Old June 10, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, check VERY carefully for cracks in the top hinge. Sometimes even those that look perfect are actually cracked (I have one like that), and a cracked hinge reduces the value. Since those frames are cast iron, they can't easily be welded or soldered. They can be brazed, but any repair looks bad, and the value goes down fast.

NIB and without a crack, those guns go for $3000 or so. Ones in lesser condition, but still intact, can go for $1000-2000. In poor shape, but intact, around $500. Cracked, about $200-300 even if otherwise in good shape. (Gun show buyers beware; some sellers put fancy prices even on guns with cracked hinges. You can pay $1200 for one like that, but you will never get the money out of it.)

Needless to say, I strongly recommend NOT firing one of those old timers; folks who say they must shoot every gun they own should not own a Remington double derringer. Even an intact one can crack on the next shot; an already cracked gun can break all the way through the hinge.

(There is a theory that the cracking was not due to firing, but to "flipping" the barrels up and back. Be that as it may, use care in handling the old guns, and I still recommend against firing.)

Jim

Page generated in 0.04780 seconds with 8 queries