Thread: hey all
View Single Post
Old November 10, 2004, 05:08 PM   #4
Barry in IN

Tell them (us?) to measure off distances that they might have to shoot across- i.e. upstairs master BR door to downstairs front door, etc, and practice shooting at those distances. This is most important if using long guns with relatively high bore-to-sight differences. An AR15, for example, hits around 2.5 inches lower than the sights up close (assuming it's not zeroed for 20 feet).

Don't expect the shot from a shotgun to spread at house range. Pattern the gun/load at the distances you measured. Actually pattern it on paper. At most house distances, the shot pattern, regardless of size, will act like a pre-fragmented slug. A 12 gauge Glaser.

Place reflective objects to give you an advantage seeing around blind corners. I've read that Clint Smith suggests polished vases- sounds good to me. You need to remember to use them. Mirrors are too obvious to the Bad Guys and can work against you. Hopefully, invaders won't think about using vases.

Keep a cellphone handy. Use it to call 911 instead of your house phone. They are usually handier. You can clip it to the waistband of your grundies and keep it with you if you have to move. A hands-free kit might be useful to some, but personally, I would find the dangling wires a detriment. Even without using the hands-free kit, the dispatcher should be able to hear you.

When the police come, they will need to get in. Get a Cyalume chemical lightstick, and hang a spare house key from it. Bend the lightstick, open a window, and drop the stick and key to them.

Almost everything or everyone you see, hear, or read will tell you to stay put and not go after invaders. But I imagine that if they hear screams from their little girl's room, most people are going.
So, even if you don't expect to move, plan to move.
Look things over ahead of time. This is the time for mirrors. You can take a cheap, semi-full-length mirror meant for closet doors, and carry it around the house surveying corners and the like. Place it in the places you think you or a bad guy would be, then switch places and check when you can see yourself as you pie the corner.

Page generated in 0.02949 seconds with 8 queries