View Single Post
Old March 28, 2000, 07:33 PM   #2
jfrancis

I'd go with a Remington 870 12 ga pump for home defense if that was going to be my only use for the weapon. These can be had quite cheaply, they work and work and can always be upgraded to Scattergun standards later if $$ and interest permit.

Range depends on ammunition. With buckshot you are limited to the range you can guarantee keeping all your pellets on target (probably less than 15 yards with an unmodified 870) - unless you are out in the boonies when you can be sure that nothing else important will take a hit. The reduced recoil buckshot patterns tighter in most guns.

Further than that, switch to slugs - you extend your range to about 100 yards depending on your sights and skill level.

If you have goblins in your house intent on doing you harm, you probably won't notice the noise and muzzle blast. I wouldn't worry about that - ANY gun is going to be loud indoors.

Finally, I would strongly recommend taking a combat shotgun course. I've had classes with Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Louis Awerbuck (Mr. Shotgun) and they were all a great value.

John Francis

Page generated in 0.02225 seconds with 8 queries