View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
BikeNGun1974

It depends on how you define censorship. I tend to think of it as an intentional blocking of someone trying to say something, like Google taking down a blog they disagree with. It's an active thing.

Most news producers wake up ever morning and think "How can I get the most viewers and, hence, the most advertising dollars while keeping my bosses happy?" It's a more passive decision to include things they think will get them more money, not an active decision to avoid a topic (though I'm sure some do, I can't believe that every TV producer in the US shares the same views)

Usually that means talking about the bloodiest horror they can find. Someone having their life saved is not going to get the same viewership numbers.

There's also more story with a crime. There's the investigation, possible suspects, arrests, why they did it, where they were eventually found, the trial, the conviction. Of course, there's also the victim's story and lots of shots of their family and friends crying. It's high drama.

With a self defense case (even of in a mass shooter incident), there is the event, a short investigation, and (hopefully) an acquittal. It's short, simple, and not emotional enough for TV viewers.

Page generated in 0.02489 seconds with 8 queries