View Single Post
Old December 6, 2010, 01:18 AM   #12
HiBC

I certainly don't think it is a good idea to take a sound,reasonably complete and original milsurp and modify it.Unless maybe,there are a lot of cheap Moisins around and you need a utility rough rifle.
I do appreciate saving the classic milsurps.I release big northerns,too.But every once in a while,they will suck a lure into the gills and they are bleeding bad.I enjoy eating them.I still have 2 Mexican mauser actions and a half built 30-06 on a 1909 Argentine,just a pristine,beautiful,tight action.I bought the bare action.I am going to feel good about building a nice rifle on it.I am going to put a decent #2 contour bbl,maybe a Brownells Shilen.I have a Garret Accralite stock left,and its inletted,ready for glass.Timney trigger,I might splurge and get onen of the nice side swing M-70 cocking piece safeties.
there are a lot of hacked milsurps,they will work,or bare actions.I have 3 Rolling Blocks in process,all milsurps,all reclaimed from junk,and none were rifles.They are getting some love!!Badger half round,half octagon bbl,nice,appropriate wood,original rough and ready sight..
OP,see if you can find some old Gun Digests and look at the custom rifle showcase.You will see as many milsurps there as you do M-700s today.
You are 16.Cool.I respect your position.I respect that you have a position.
Anybody can buy and sell guns.Anybody can hack them up.But if you want to learn to square a receiver face,thread and fit a barrel,chamber and headspace a rifle,what is wrong with starting with a J+G sales Brno mauser,or if the Old Western Scrounger had a Springfield action,why not?
Have you ever read PO Ackley?Do you know who he was?
The only reas9on we have cranky old gunsmiths ,Brownells,Clymer reamers,Weaver,etc was a whole lot of milsurp conversion enterprise.I'll tell you something else.If the American Shooter,and the American gunsmith had not created a legitimate commerce in converting milsurps to sporting rifles and money,The nickle steel Springfields would all be Hundai crankshafts.The ONLY thing that kept all the milsurps from becoming SCRAP IRON (see governments) was the American Bubba,as you call me.
And,I'm not intersted in buying an off the shelf rifle very often.
Now,as I most certainly do appreciate you,I highly recommend you read Robert Ruark,"The Old Man and the Boy" (No,I am not calling you boy!

Last edited by HiBC; December 6, 2010 at 01:27 AM.

Page generated in 0.03395 seconds with 8 queries