View Single Post
Old September 12, 2011, 03:50 PM   #37
DavidG.

Quote:
Why don't you enlighten us with the reasons why you chose the Winchester?
I probably should have said a bit more in my first post in this thread, but I chose it because of these following reasons:

It was the lightest pump 12 ga shotgun I could reliably find. A lot of times people look for heavier shotguns to soak up recoil, but carrying it long distances made it important to me.
I liked the location of the safety and the action release button.
The length of pull and drops at heel and comb were good for me, this is completely subjective to my body size though.
It's receiver being made of aluminum, I just figured if I ever went trouncing through dense brush after rain, or was with it in the rain, that it wouldn't be as likely to rust everywhere. Supposedly aluminum "rust" (technically called oxidation) makes it stronger. huh.
The inertia-assisted slide-action thingy making it the fastest pump action shotgun seemed kinda cool.
The tactical typed pump action grip without having to pay for the 870 tactical price and get the obnoxiously stupid end of barrel door/human poker choke.
It was also pretty cheap compared to the Mossbergs and Remington I was comparing it to.

I did go for features that would make it useful for Alaskan bear protection in the field for hikes or fishing or berry picking or whatever, but that doesn't make many of those features a liability in home defense. All I have done to it is added a sling, and the most I would ever do in the future is replace the front brass bead sight with a tritium bead. In the world of tactical style shotguns for defensive use in the field, in the home, or both, but you still like the idea of simplifying and adding lightness, I think the Winchester SXP Defender stands above the rest. If you want one with more bulk added onto it, by all means you should get something else.

Page generated in 0.03568 seconds with 8 queries