View Single Post
Old January 24, 2001, 06:26 PM   #7
Hot Core

Probably killed more varmints with the good old 22LR than anything else. Seems like there is always one of them close at hand. Current favorite is a S&S Marlin M880 with 22LR Remington SubSonics. Accurate and relatively quiet.

Used to "wrestle" with 22Hornets a good bit. Probably 30+ years of solid aggravation. Even had the ones that you used the 0.223" diameter bullets in rather than the 0.224" diameter that is Standard today. I'd get a Load working well, go back a few days later to verify it and you never knew where they were going.

Which brings us to the sweetest little 223Rem 20" S&S M7. I swapped my "last" (and I do mean my LAST) 22Hornet in on this. It loves anything you put in it. Most accurate Load in it is a 50gr Nos B-Tip with H4895 or H322. Won't even bother to describe the groups it shot the first two trips to the range with it. Even "I" knew the rifle could not shoot that good. Now it shoots 4s with that Load regularly and enough 3s to make me smile (I normally don't have the concentration to shoot lower than the 4s anymore). It also puts the wonderfully accurate ElCheapo 50gr Rem PLHPs into the 6s-8s. Nice! Oh yes, with 1x.xgr of "2400" and a 45gr bullet, it becomes an "ACCURATE" 22Hornet.

Last but not least, is a 243Win 20" S&S M7 that really likes the 75gr Sierra HP (#1510) with H380. A buddy and I took that Load and each sent 3-shots into the same target. The combined 2-man 6-shot group was in the 6s. Had a heck of a time getting his fingers pried off the stock. ;^)

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Page generated in 0.04193 seconds with 8 queries