View Single Post
Old June 3, 2000, 03:28 PM   #3
Paul B.

RAE. Interesting situation. I have an idea,but at best it is no more than a WAG. (Wild A$$ Guess)
First, the bullet in question is rather soft. Unique is a faster burning powder, and the sudden jolt may be causing gas cutting. #2400, being the slower burning of the two, may be giving the bullet a gentler start. Then to, the heat of the explosion from Unique may be generated faster, thus affecting the bullets base. Or maybe a combination of the two. If you could find a way to recover some of the Unique propelled bullets that are not too badly damamged, you might be able to determine if gas cutting, or skidding is the problem. A change in powders might help. I shoot a Winchester 94 carbine in .45 LC. I got anywhere from light to moderate leading with Unique. Changing to W-231 made leading almost non-existant.
Hornady bullets are swaged, so they have to be relatively soft. Maybe trying a hard cast lead bullet will cure the problem. You can probably get them the same size (.430 dia.) or go to .431 diameter, which is the size I use in my .44 magnums.
Don't know if this solves your problem, but it's something to think about.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02526 seconds with 8 queries