View Single Post
Old April 13, 1999, 11:26 PM   #3
Grayfox

Mike Venturino did a good article on the economics of reloading in the Feb. issue of shooting times. Its worth a look.
Basicly the savings depends on what round you are loading. Rifle ammo costs more to reload than handgun and the bigger the bullet the more they cost.
You're in luck as the 9mm is very cheap to reload. The largest cost is the brass. Since you are shooting 400-500 rounds a week, you should have more than enough already.
Bullets can be purchased in bulk quanities of 500, 1000 or more at real savings from Midway, Dillon and several other places. These are usually made by Remington or Winchester. Good stuff. My nines are rather fond of the Remington 115gr JHP. Midway currently lists these at $53.99 per 1000.
The cost of power and primers only amounts to a few cents per round.
As you are paying $149 for a case of the Speer, I'd estimate your savings would run about 60 to 70% over factory loads. I consider that well worth it.
You also have to consider the initial cost of the equiptment. Since you are a high volume shooter, the best way for you to go is with a progressive press. Dillon is probably your best bet and can get you started for $200 to $500 depending on which model you chose. Keep in mind that the savings cover equiptment costs in a relativly short time.
If you love to shoot, it pays to reload.

Page generated in 0.02046 seconds with 8 queries