View Single Post
Old November 8, 2000, 05:56 PM   #4
Buford Boone

I wanted to use the Barnes, but my muzzleloader (Encore 209X50) only groups about 3" @ 100 yds. with them.

I had to send the gun back to Thompson for repair (burr in rifling...which they fixed) and inquired about a good load. They sent me a box of the TC Hornady 240 XTP (sabot) bullets. The rifle consistently shoots 1.5" groups and better with this bullet and 2 pellets. It does the same in the 209X50s of a couple of friends of mine.

I shot a couple of blocks of gelatin with them and got 18.5" and 20.5" penetration, with nice expansion and little fragmentation.

I field tested it yesterday and got excellent results. On a quartering shot (whitetail), it went in at the juncture of the neck and body, went through the top of the heart (major damage) and continued through, punching a hole in a couple of ribs on the other side. I didn't measure the penetration, but the angle was such that I was worried it had gotten into the gut was happy to see that it didn't). Nice exit wound and resultant blood-trail.

The deer only ran about 50 yards before piling up.

All in all, I don't think anything else would have done a better job. All that and they cost about $10/30 at Walmart. Makes them easy to come by and not too hard on the wallet.

[This message has been edited by Buford Boone (edited November 08, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03840 seconds with 8 queries