Thread: Lead Poisoning
View Single Post
Old October 30, 2014, 07:26 AM   #59
TimSr

I love how simple things can become so complicated.

The OP questioned the legitimacy of the hyped health and environmental concerns over LEAD AMMUNITION. Not paint, not smokestacks, not gasoline.

The idea that a handful of lead pellets from ammunition spread over acres of land is going to pose a heath hazard or environmental hazard is ridiculous, and entirely political. The few lead pellets we've probably all swallowed eating rabbits and sqirrels will likely do less damage than the broken teeth you get from biting into steel shot.

Yes, concentrations of lead in the body can cause health issues. Small amounts are normal. Lead is not a man made substance. It is naturally ocurring.

As for game getting shot, and dying from lead poisoning, considering the fact that they were shot would lead me to believe the intent was kill to begin with. Far more waterfowl got shot and flew away unrecovered from inferior steel shot than ever died from lead poisoning.

Yes, animals can eat shot. That a dozen shots over 1000 acre swamp is going to result in ducks diving, finding, and eating my shot are pretty unbelievable.

Yes scavengers could eat shot animals and ingest a bullet or pellets. There are what, like a dozen California condors in the entire state? How many acres are there in California? What are the odds that one of those dozen birds will find the unrecovered deer you shot, and eat the bullet?

Politics is taking something that COULD happen, even if 10 million to 1 odds, and making people believe that unless you pass a bunch of nonsensical laws, likely WILL happen.

Page generated in 0.03915 seconds with 8 queries