View Single Post
Old March 24, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Crunchy Frog

Yes. That type of bullet is very popular in cowboy action shooting because it feeds very well in lever action rifles. Lots of cowboy shooters use lighter than "standard" bullets; in .38 Special for example I use 105 and 125 grain bullets.

SASS rules mandate that the ammo be loaded with lead bullets at no more than 1000 feet per second (for pistol ammo; the rifles are pistol caliber but the velocity limit for rifle is a little higher). This is because cowboys shoot steel targets at relatively closed distances and a lead bullet at the proper velocity (there is a minimum limit as well) tends to splatter and fall to the ground instead of bouncing off the target.

Look on the Hodgdon powder website; their printed manual has an entire section dedicated to cowboy action loads and I believe the online "Reloading Data Center" has the same data for lead bullet loads although they are not specifically identified as "cowboy loads".

I have used my "cowboy" .38 Special loads for practice ammo in double action revolvers. It doesn't cause a tear in space-time or anything.

Page generated in 0.03620 seconds with 8 queries