View Single Post
Old July 26, 2012, 07:51 AM   #10
bedbugbilly

Jim- the kind of information that you are willing to share are the things that should be preserved . . . I find them very interesting.

I've never served in the military but have always been interested in such things. I'm 60 and collected Civil War for 50 years. When I was 16, I interviewed all of our local World War I veterans and spent hours talking with them. These were the types of things that I tried to draw out of them . . . not what the regulations called for but what was actually practiced. I have several of the 10 pocket ammo belts that a couple of these old WW I vets gave me. In regards to use with the Garand - I always assumed that they were "filled" and the bandoleers were additional rounds.

Let's face it . . . our WW II vets are dwindling every day and the Korean War vets are on their coat tails. I think it would be wonderful if things such as you are sharing were compiled and preserved for future generations. To me, it's the "personal recollections" that are the "true history".

I worked over thirty years as a professional storyteller doing "first person - living history" storytelling programs. I had several Civil War programs, Michigan History programs and a World War I program based on the stories of the veterans that I knew and their stories. Included with the programs were displays of historical artifacts from my collection from the respective time periods. The audiences (kids and adults) loved them as they were hearing about personal recollections which were the "true history" - not the usual boring textbook history of generals, dates, etc.

My father-in-law was in the 34th Division in WW II - he was overseas 36 months - North Africa - Italy - he had a rough dime of it and never talked about it to his kids. He did share a few things with me but I could never get him to open up. Sadly, he is now gone and his kids know very little of what he went through or his experiences. Hopefully, you fellows who proudly served in the military are writing some of these things down so they'll be preserved.

Many thanks again for sharing this information - it is greatly appreciated. And by the way - I'll share just WHY I'm working on building this M1Carbine from a 10/22. I had a very good friend that I knew all my life. He owned the Hardware store in my hometown. After Pearl Harbor, he grabbed a bus to Detroit and enlisted in the Marine Corps. He was like a second "Dad" to me - taught me to shoot, helped me with my "work" when I joined the Masons many years ago and I sort of watched over him in his last years - taking him to Dr. appts., etc. I'm doing the 10/22 M1 Carbine build in his memory - he would have loved it. If he were still alive and able to shoot - it would be his.

Thanks again!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.02345 seconds with 8 queries