View Single Post
Old April 5, 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Crunchy Frog

I use crushed walnut shells (the Zilla lizard litter from the pet store) in a vibratory tumbler. I stopped using liquid polish additives after an episode where clumps of wet media settled into some cases (some folks put the polish into the media and run it a while with no brass to disperse the clumps). Now I add a little powdered jeweler's rouge to my media.

I tumble for a couple of hours. The exterior of the cases is cleaned but it does not look brand new. That's good enough for me; I don't bother re-tumbling in corncob. It does not shine the inside of the cases. This does not concern me.

If I ever have a situation where my brass gets mud inside, I soak the cases in water (maybe a little dish soap) to dissolve the worst of it.

A friend brought over his Thumlers tumbler with the stainless steel pins. I tumbled some fired pistol brass. Now that brass was really clean, inside an out. It looked like factory virgin brass.

I let the wet tumbled brass air dry for a while and then reloaded it. There was enough moisture trapped in the old primers or primer pockets that it fouled the primers as I reloaded. I had a failure rate of about 20%.

You can avoid that by decapping the cases before wet tumbling, and also by drying the cases more throroughly.

Page generated in 0.03709 seconds with 8 queries