View Single Post
Old November 9, 2008, 10:25 PM   #35
JohnH1963

When I mean volume of fire, I mean with the main calibers. However, there have been many people killed each year with the .32 and the .22 (and with just one shot).

Quite honestly, if I was defending my house then I would rather have the .45. I thought about a few scenarios and 15 feet is about all I will get which is enough time to place 2-3 bullets into the intruder. In that case, I will take the .45. The .45 was specifically designed for close quarters combat and there is some evidence to suggest it is slightly more effective then the other rounds. So if I have even a slight advantage then I'll take the .45.

However, against a large group of people out in the open then I would prefer a 9 mm because of the volume of rounds that can be carried and cooked off. Most modern 9mm weapons usually have the option of a much larger magazine such as the Sig's 20 rounder or the Glocks 19 rounder or 33 rounder.

For example, lets say I am in an area that was swept by a natural disaster. I have decided to hike to safety and then come upon a gang of 5-10 people armed with different weapons. In that situation, I would want to lay down as much fire as possible while I perform a hasty retreat (assuming the group is coming at me with hostile intentions). The Glocks 33 round magazine would be very nice to keep heads down while I am performing such a retreat. 2 19 or 2 33 round magazines could be easily stowed in a fanny pack or back pack.

Indeed, there was some data from Somalia where the Beretta's larger capacity proved useful in beating back rampaging crowds. I can see where that 33-round magazine would have some purpose.

There are many scenarios that are admittingly not all that possible. There have not been many break ins around here in a while and there hasnt been an occasion in my lifetime where there is civil anarchy in my area.

However, if you ask me then I would use the .45 for my home and work. A 9mm overloaded with the largest capacity magazines for carry.

Last edited by JohnH1963; November 9, 2008 at 10:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.03593 seconds with 8 queries