View Single Post
Old June 23, 2006, 07:31 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Sounds good, but it seems like a lot of work - seems to me that if it's only gonna last 2 or 3 days, why not just scatter corn on the ground, or better yet, use a feeder - I could see using that method if it would take the hogs a couple weeks to a month to root it all out, but not just a few days. Plus the hogs tear up the pipe, so you have to keep acquiring new pipe, right?

Anyway, from what I've read from these guys:

http://www.texasboars.com/

your best bet is to take some PVC pipe; 1-3 4-foot pieces for example, drill a half dozen or so 1/2" holes into each pipe, that corn can leak out, and then fill and plug both ends of them with end caps, with corn doused with diesel fuel (that's correct, diesel fuel). Then tie one end with a rope to a tree so the hogs don't drag it away. It will take a few weeks for the hogs to kick and knock around the pipe pieces in order to make the corn trickle out the holes, which they will do; kinda like those food puzzle cubes for your dog. You can of course re-use the pipes. Hogs love the smell & taste of petroleum products, for some reason, so that's where the diesel fuel comes in. Plus, unlike soaking the corn in beer or milk or strawberry shasta (which I hear they love), the diesel won't cause the corn to soften & ferment. This has the effect of leaving it crunchy. This in turn helps you sneak up on them because the sound of the corn crunching in their heads muffles out other sounds, AND the strong diesel smell can help cover your human scent. Or so I read. Also, on the subject of petroleum products, if you pour some creosote on a tree or fence post, this will attract them as a rub. You want to put your corn pipes & creosote post near a pond or other water puddle, where they can wallow. I put out some of these corn pipes, but there was a major drought on that lease and the hogs had moved a mile or so away to the river, so never saw any. But I get this stuff from some serious Texas hog hunters who have tried everything else, and this is supposed to work the best, except for just a standard feeder, which works great too.

But great idea on shooting the stragglers, so as not to spook the group. "Say, Fred, where'd Bill go - he was just back behind us I thought."

Page generated in 0.03166 seconds with 8 queries