View Single Post
Old January 1, 2002, 03:02 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Joe, my 12 gauge trap 870 has 38 POC, practically extra full. All the gamers who shoot trap use 12s because 10s aren't allowed, and there more to it than more payload. BTW, I use a one oz reload.

All else equal,the 12 will produce better patterns at any range than a 20, shooting the same amount of shot. A shorter shot column means less pellets deforming in the funnels, ie, the forcing cone and choke.

Another advantage is there are so many more load combinations possible in 12 gauge and so much more loading info that it's much more likely than someone can find the optimum combination for HIS/HER mission and shotgun. Don't believe me? Strap down an AA27AA trapshooter, pump him/her full of truth serum and ask if they spent long and arduous hours researching and testing before picking a certain load and using a certain choke with it.

Finally, a 12 gauge loaded down is much more effective than a 20 loaded up from the versatility viewpoint. Son's 3/4 oz trainer loads duplicate 28 gauge loads, certainly possible with a 20, but that little NEF can be used also not only with 3" barnburner loads by the recoil tolerant and/or masochistic,but the 1 1/4 oz heavy field loads that I like for ringnecks.

And Joe, with 200/200 rounds not that uncommon nowadays, while a decent job can be done in trap with a 20, the guys that spend thousands of stuff that might by them a a bird will be using 12s.

For fun, a 20's fun, effective and handy, So are 12s, with small advantages in efficiency....

Page generated in 0.04366 seconds with 8 queries