View Single Post
Old March 28, 2010, 05:16 PM   #15
SL1

One caution about mixing and matching dies from different manufacturers when you are neck-sizing. Sometime of the seater dies will need full-length sized brass. For example, for years I "neck-sized" my .270 Winchester cases with an RCBS full-length die turned-out so that it did not size all of the neck, and used a Bonanaza (now Forster, I believe) seating die with the sliding sleeve. It worked fine. But, I just HAD to try the Lee collet die, so I bought one and, when I went to seat the bullets with the Bonanza die, the cases got stuck in the sliding sleeve. I used the seater that came with the Lee dies, and it handled the cases sized with the collet die just fine.

So, for a new reloader, I suggest NOT mixing and matching dies when you first start. It would be too hard to diagnose a problem when you don't know that the dies are actually incompatible.

And, for all you guys who read this and ask "Which works better, the Lee collet die or the RCBS full-length sizer turned out with a Forster seater?" the answer is the Lee die set. Probably because of the expander ball in the RCBS full-length sizer pulling the necks a little out of alignment.

SL1

Page generated in 0.02431 seconds with 8 queries