View Single Post
Old November 21, 2002, 09:39 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Flechettes are one of those things that sound like they would be a real effective anti-personnel round, but they just have not panned out. At $2 a round, that is a lot of money for ineffective shooting.

The one question you need to make when considering a new ammo for defense is whether or not it is going to be better than the options already available to you. Since Flechettes are not new, you gotta figure that they were never great performers since the only folks promoting them as defensive rounds are the makers. I don't think anyone instructing shotgun classes would suggest flechettes over more standard loads such as buckshot.

The one thing flechettes may do well is fish-hooking inside the body. That means that while they may enter straight, the lead end will often curl or fish hook in the body. This means that removal by a doctor is a little more difficult. You can't just pull them out straight since they are no longer straight.

If you are still sold on trying some, but 50 and a whole pig carcass and blast away at it from various distances, starting at the extreme far end first. Then keep track of just how many hit the thing at 75 yards, then 50, then 25, etc. I would suggest live animal tests, but flechettes would be very cruel especially since the animal is probably going to survive being hit multiple times from multiple shots.

Page generated in 0.03377 seconds with 8 queries