View Single Post
Old June 24, 2011, 10:32 PM   #14
1Hobie

If you want absolute benchrest consistency, there are so many variables that it takes a methodical approach to dial in the "perfect" round.

I undertook the making the "perfect" round for my .308 rifle(Rem 700 PSS). Not only did I determine the Ogive using Stoney Point's guage but I made a cast image using Brownell's product(can't remember the name but it has a set time you have to follow).

I first took and weighed many once fired brass and segregated it by weight. Loaded some mid range rounds using one kind of powder and bullet. Then I fired it through my gun to fire form the round to my gun's chamber.

After that, I took my brass, resized the necks, turned the necks and measured them for run-out. Champered the necks, and also measured the cases for incipient head seperation.While I was in there, I cleaned up the primer area, de-burred the flash hole, made sure that the primer pocket was square.

I use a single stage press for my fine loads. It probably takes me 30 minutes a round when all said and done. But....cutting the center out of a target at 200 yards(all the farther I have to shoot safely) is pretty fun for me.

Bullet jump is a judgement call to me. For benchrest less is more, I think. In the practical world, not so much and actually could create a potentially undesireable situation,

Oh well, my two centavos worth.

BTW, I'm reading "Un-intended Consequences" again and it still makes sence.

Hobie

Page generated in 0.02462 seconds with 8 queries