View Single Post
Old May 3, 2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Lazy D

could be a few issues.

From your post I take it you're having light strikes. This is usually a result of someone filing down the strain screw, or just loosening it up to lighten the hammer weight. First make sure the strain screw is completely tight. If not that most likely is the problem. If it is tight, then I would first replace it, and fit a new one. A good test for hammer weight is to take an old aluminum shotgun cleaning rod. Best to find one just under the bore diameter. Cut a section 6-7" then weigh it on a powder scale. You need to work it down to 270 grains. (Insure your gun is empty) Cock the hammer and place the rod down the barrel. With the muzzle straight up, dry fire it. It should push the rod about 12" past the muzzle. If it doesn't you need more hammer weight.
I don't know the cost of the firing pin you are talking about, but I would imagine the cost of a strain screw is much cheaper.$3-$5. Having said all that, if the last fella had worked down the mainspring, the strain screw probably wont help, but it might.

Second possible is cylinder end shake. If the cylinder has much fore and aft play it may not be holding the rounds close enough to the back for the FP to strike the primer.

I would bet it is hammer weight.
Good luck

Page generated in 0.03140 seconds with 8 queries