View Single Post
Old June 22, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
gman3

I have been carrying one for a little over a year now. After carrying a P220 for 13 years, I did not like it at first. Have never used a polymer pistol before , so there was some adjustment in my thinking about them required to build confidence in the weapon, so that I felt that I could bet my life on it.

There was an issue with the original pistol issued that required replacement or correction by FN. The issue was that if you pulled the trigger with the striker cocked, and then pushed the trigger back forward, (don't know why anyone would do that) the weapon would then be locked, requiring the trigger to be pulled again before the slide would operate to chamber a round.

They are manufactured in Columbia, S.C.

There was also an issue where the ambi magazine release would sometimes drop the magazine if in a chair, or sometimes on a seatbelt buckle, or while firing the weapon. Both of these issues have been corrected on OUR weapons. I do not know if those two things are still an issue with new production pistols from FN. Ours do NOT have the thumb safety. As always, one must watch where you put your booger picker. You are the safety.

Having said that, I now have about 2000 rounds down range with my second one. Speer 124 Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+. There have been no malfunctions of any kind with four different magazines. The mags drop free on a combat reload with no sticking. The weapon was not cleaned at all during the 2000 rounds fired, one re-lube after initial cleaning. Just an exterior wipe.

The gun does point well naturally for me with the arched back strap, it comes with two different back straps to suit your preference. I haven't changed them, as the weapon points well for me with the one that was installed on it in the box. The sights are outstanding, nothing else to say about them, they are great.

The trigger was a little gritty to start on both of the pistols that I have used, but has gotten smoother with use, and has a clean crisp break of about 5.5 pounds. I really can't find anything to complain about with the weapon at all.

The issues that were mentioned above, I did not experience. I could make the weapon lock if I intentionally pushed the trigger forward, but I can really see that happening in a practical application using the weapon. It was possible, and may have been a designed in feature, but some of our folks made an issue of it and FN replaced the weapons.

The accuracy of the pistol is outstanding. Shooting from a rest, (two hands supported on a bench), I have found it to be capable of 2 inch accuracy at 30 yards (probably better, that's just the best I could do). Standing unsupported, no problem K-5ing with an entire magazine, with a reasonably fast rate of fire. The weapon returns nicely after firing. I can't tell any difference in recoil between the standard pressure ammunition and the +P+ ammo.

The grip checkering is very aggressive. Can't really think of anything else, I like it, and it seems to be reasonably priced. For what you get, it is a reliable
and effective tool that you can depend on. That's coming from a die hard SIG and Colt fan boy. I have numerous SIGs and 1911s, carry a handgun or two all the time, and shoot them a lot. One might say that I am a professional, and I like, and would recommend the FNS-9 pistol.

Hope that helps you to make a decision.

Page generated in 0.02416 seconds with 8 queries