View Single Post
Old January 14, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
jimpeel

Montpelier, Ohio school district votes to allow custodians at schools to be armed

On the heels of the parents of Newtown, CT demanding the schools CONTINUE TO BE STAFFED BY POLICE, and FALL RIVER, MA FOLLOWING SUIT, we have this from Montpelier, OH.

SOURCE

Quote:
“The Montpelier Exempted Village Schools Board of Education has approved the carrying of handguns by its custodial staff. The 5-0 vote of the board Wednesday night to allow handgun training for four custodians to be able to tote weapons at the K-12 campus at the Williams County school came after last month’s deadly shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. School officials say that having armed personnel – believed to be the first for any school system in Ohio – is designed to thwart incidents of violence and prevent what happened in Newtown, Conn., from occurring here. ‘Sitting back and doing nothing and hoping it doesn’t happen to you is just not good policy anymore. There is a need for schools to beef up their security measures,” Supertendent Jamie Grime told The Blade today. ‘Having guns in the hands of the right people are not a hindrance. They are a means to protect.’”
EDIT: for those who have not lived in MA the statement by the one guy who said ...

Quote:
"I was praising the mayor for making that decision absolutely. I’d rather see the police officers at school than sitting at a constructions site," said Michael Pais.
might not make any sense.

When I lived there I asked a police officer why they use sworn officers at construction sites. That is the law there and was apparently driven by the unions that there has to be a police officer at construction sites when the streets are being torn up, etc.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey

Last edited by jimpeel; January 14, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.03766 seconds with 8 queries