View Single Post
Old July 14, 2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Maddog2020

Sears Model 1 22CAL Rifle

Hi Sam,

Sorry it took this long to get back to you about this.

Yes I believe it's the exact same scenario you described to me in your second to the last post (which I took the liberty to re-post below). The rifle my grandson has appears to be the junior model too because it does look shorter in length and there are no swivels attached for a shoulder strap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Who made the Sears 22 cal Model 1 rifle?

Answer: The Sears Model 1 22 caliber rifle was a single-shot made by Winchester. Winchester also made the gun as their model 121. I have a "junior" model of the Sears Model 1 that I received from my father in 1967. The junior model is a smaller version of the gun for the beginner shooter. I have seen a Winchester 121, and it is not only longer than the Model 1, but the gun stock is also slightly different. The model 121 had sling swivels and my Model 1 does not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ammunition information I needed was in fact stamped on the barrel of the rifle, but wasn't given to me when I asked for it. This Jr. model does shoot all three 22CAL shells, S, L, & LR, which makes perfect sense seeing how it's a single shot bolt action and has a lot of room to eject a LR shell.

I found a lot of rust underneath the barrel once I removed it from the stock (plus a few spots on top) which motivated me to re-blue it using a cold bluing process. I went to Big5 Sporting Goods and purchased Birchwood's Cold Bluing kit for next to nothing compared to what I paid the last time I sent one out to be done professionally, and I must say I am extremely happy with how it turned out. I've always wanted to try this one day and here was the perfect opportunity.

For those of you who may have said the same thing, well I'm here to tell you that I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow... just remember the old adage about the quality of a job being every bit as good as the amount of preparation that went into it! Well that's still true today as it is here.

I do have one more question to ask anyone who can tell me and that is how to do I go about disassembling the bolt from this rifle so I can re-blue just the parts that were blued to begin with. Does anyone have a basic set of instructions?

I am a fair hand at most things mechanical so I'm not worried about reassembling this later. If anyone could point me in the right direction first then I think it may go a lot quicker.

Regards.

Page generated in 0.03543 seconds with 8 queries