Thread: This bugs me
View Single Post
Old February 10, 2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Training is not taken into account for many of the hypothetical scenarios because few of the scenarios posited take place during training. The scenarios assume that once the event is taking place, you operate in the scenario with whatever background you had before the scenario started.

As for those that should be situationally aware and claim to be situationally aware, contrary to all the bravado, nobody is in condition yellow 24/7 regardless of what they tell you. I have had particular fun sneaking up on firearms trainers at the range. They don't like it. They don't like it because they were caught in condition white where they were feeling safe. This can be embarrassing for them as they are the instructors and yet end up showing that their situational awareness isn't as great as they thought. Strangely, I got the idea from an instructor of my first defensive handgun class who chewed out for poor situational awareness during a time when the students were on the firing line as a group and focussed on learning the gun skills provided by the instruction. While on the line and following range commands from the instructor, the students had no reason to be concerned of the instructor as they perceived him as a person providing instruction and fellow good guy. So we all missed seeing the red gun the insructor had produced and was pointed at the students.. So we were chewed out for out poor situational awareness.

Tom Givens of Rangemaster pulled the same stupid stunt on my wife's class, except he produced a large knife that nobody noticed. As my wife pointed out, if you have to be so wary of everybody in the world around you including those you trust, then you can't function in society. My wife shot Givens several times with her finger gun when he turned his back on her. As she noted, it was easy. He often led the students up to the targets to inspect the targets. Givens was critical of the students for not being situationally aware of the potential threat posed by a trusted person, and yet he violated his edict several times. After all, they ran a hot range and my wife was armed. She could have produced her Browning and shot Givens just as easily as she produced her finger gun. Unlike me, my wife felt it most prudent not to point out to Givens how badly he was situationally unaware or how often.

In my Rangemaster class, we had the honor of Dane Burns to provide us with some of the instruction. Dane pointed out how he had oh-so-much martial arts training and that he had actually developed a 6th sense to sense that which was going on around him that provided him with his situational awareness. At lunch in the local Subway sandwich shop, I walked up behind him while he sat and chatted with two other students. I was able to stand within inches of his person and make gestures above and around his head as he blindly continued sharing his views of the world with the two students. To their credit, the students did not stare at me. It took a couple of minutes and Dane did finally sense my presence...after I tapped him on the shoulder.

The lack of sit awareness stunt pulled by instructors is really an underming cheap shot pulled to show the students how inept they are at situational awareness because they failed to recognize a trusted fellow good guy as a threat. About all the stunt did for their education is to try to show the students that she cannot trust anybody at any time. So, the students are being taught to be paranoid of everybody.

Page generated in 0.02460 seconds with 8 queries