View Single Post
Old September 24, 2005, 11:34 PM   #4
J.D.B.

Several years ago, I loaded ammo for a hog hunt in GA. At the time the client wanted to use his 6" 686 (.357). I advised him to check wether .357 was allowed in a handgun on their ranch. He was advised that .357 was the LIGHTEST caliber they allowed. I developed loads of 158gr soft points running very close to 1400fps for his gun. A few days before the hunt the client decided to use his .44 mag. Ruger semi-auto carbine (as several people had previously advised him would be a better choice). I made up my favorite carbine loading of a 240gr soft point over 23 gr H110, CCI mag primer. These run in the low 1700's out of a carbine and have taken many animals over the years reliably. When I spoke with the client following his hunt, he told me that the first hog was so easy, he paid for a second, returning with two. Both were heart shots (he makes me look good with his shot placing ability ), and both animals ran less than 25 yds. before dropping. Neither bullet was recovered as they passed through both animals, leaving no heart to be found in either animal. Now here's the kicker. A man on their hunt DID use a .357 Ruger revolver and had to RELOAD to kill his animal. I'm told he had TWO head-shots as well. I don't know what ammo he was using, but my client was glad he used a .44 carbine with high-performance ammo (and so was I). 'Nuff said.
Josh

Page generated in 0.03501 seconds with 8 queries